Re: file recovery

Author: Michael Sammartano
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: file recovery

Victor Odhner wrote:

> Hi, Michael. You say you used "cp" to overwrite an
> index.html file. Bummer! Read ALL of this message
> before doing anything ...
>
> If the command completed, then the contents of the old
> file are basically gone, barring some very sophisticated
> forensic tricks which are probably out of scope for this
> discussion.

The command completed :(

> Oh hey: had you recently browsed the old index.html
> from another PC, that has not since then visited the
> site? If so, QUICK!

Tried this, no luck, but great thinking :|

> copy that browser's cache to
> another directory, then start going through all HTML
> files. You might find a copy there! But you mustn't
> re-visit your site before snapping a copy of that
> cache, or it may overwrite with the new version.
> Note that cached copies often don't bear the names
> of the web site's file.
>
> As a computing veteran, I need to ask: how complex was
> that index.html?

Not to bad , but my typing sux so it took forever! Glad I am taking a
typing clas this semester!!

> If it represented a substantial amount
> of work, I'm sorry. But *so* many times I have stepped
> on my past few hours of work, and found that re-creation
> was much quicker and often resulted in a better product.

I hope!

> Good luck. Lessons sometimes suck.
> But you'll be darn sure to keep backups in the
> future, eh?

Heh, aint that the truth.. Good thing I am looking at buying a server
with RAID and back up tape drive!! Really could've used it tonight. I
thought I had all of it backed up, but no, I was an idiot!