Re: file recovery

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: file recovery
Hi, Michael. You say you used "cp" to overwrite an
index.html file. Bummer! Read ALL of this message
before doing anything ...

If the command completed, then the contents of the old
file are basically gone, barring some very sophisticated
forensic tricks which are probably out of scope for this
discussion.

Oh hey: had you recently browsed the old index.html
from another PC, that has not since then visited the
site? If so, QUICK! copy that browser's cache to
another directory, then start going through all HTML
files. You might find a copy there! But you mustn't
re-visit your site before snapping a copy of that
cache, or it may overwrite with the new version.
Note that cached copies often don't bear the names
of the web site's file.

As a computing veteran, I need to ask: how complex was
that index.html? If it represented a substantial amount
of work, I'm sorry. But *so* many times I have stepped
on my past few hours of work, and found that re-creation
was much quicker and often resulted in a better product.

Good luck. Lessons sometimes suck.
But you'll be darn sure to keep backups in the
future, eh?

Vic