Re: source code

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: source code
Am 21. Dec, 2004 schwätzte Mikey so:

> You know, yesterday I was gung-ho for recompiling so that ext3 or reiserfs is
> default so that Debian 3.0r1 would work. I still want to do that but am
> unsure as to what I am recompiling. Is it the kernel?

ext3 is default and I think reiserfs is there as well. I see it in my
kernel tree. I see both as modules on my 3.0 box running 2.4.x kernel and
on my 3.1 box running 2.6.x kernel.

I don't see modules for either with the default 2.4.x kernel for 3.0, but
I think that kernel ( the 'bf' kernel ) has both modules builtin.

I believe reiserfs has changed in a way that is not backwards compatable
from 2.6 to 2.4. Dunno what the procedure for dealing with that is.

You shouldn't need to recompile the kernel to run ext3 on debian and I
doubt you need to for reiserfs.

> But I have a problem: when I stick 3.0r1 disk 1 into the drive a message
> appears telling me~~~
>
> ISOLINUX 1.67/debian-cd 2002-05-14 isolinux: Loading
> spec packet failed, trying to wing it...
> isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.

That says, to me, that it isn't seeing the CD-ROM at all. Is this from a
running system?

> There is another message saying that if there are [rpblems to boot with one of
> the other cds (2-5). The problem I forsee is that if I recompile a working
> image and put it on cd1 but it won't load from cd1 I am going to have the
> ssame problem I'm currently having. Or else will the kernel recompile take
> care of this problem?
>
> So there are two things I need:
>
> 1- someone to download a copy of the source code for the program I am going
> to recompile

Get one of the kernel-source packages, such as:

kernel-source-2.4.26 - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.26 with Debian
patches
kernel-source-2.6.9 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.9 with Debian
patches

> 2- someone to tell me how to find the kernel image so I am able to replace
> it once it is recompiled (if that is the program)

Get the kernel-package package.

kernel-package - A utility for building Linux kernel related Debian
packages.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them on
#  your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them on
#  a web site, and you must change them very often. -- Unknown