No Question with practical and ethical considerations.

Author: Bill Wesson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: No Question with practical and ethical considerations.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Craig
White
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 5:40 PM

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 12:42 -0700, Bill Wesson wrote:

> Given that I own a valid XP pro license, installed on the same box that
> I run Redhat on, is there a practical method of having rdesktop announce
> itself as either windows 2k pro or XP pro to the server.
>
> If there is a practical way to do this, where does it stand legally and
> ethically.

----
legally - Unless someone is a lawyer and is familiar with the specific
language of the license to which you are referring, all you could hope
to get is misinformed legal advice. This is pointless

morally - I think you have answered the issue of morality since you feel
that the fact that the computer that you are using has a Windows 2000
license affixed to the computer itself and that in your mind should
trump the details of the license which is in question. Personally, I
have no problems with that and if 'management' who owns the server whose
license is at issue has no problems with it, then go for it.

Craig

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Craig,

I don't think a person needs to be lawyer to read a Microsoft license*.
However, the person needs to be of average intelligence and willing to take
the time to read the document. True, I have given, in this thread, my
recollection; but I have a pretty decent memory. I have sat and read many
licensing agreements and in some cases have opted not use or purchase
software based upon the licensing agreement.

Now, it is just plain bad advice to suggest someone potentially violate a
license agreement just because management is ignorant, unread, or unwilling
to face their obligations under a software licensing agreement. That advice
could lead an individual to be personally financially responsible for their
action of violating a software licensing agreement. There is no protection
violating the law by saying your employer made you do it. (But my employer
made me rob the bank.)

I refuse to refer certain matters to an attorney when my own study of law as
a citizen and my study of English is pretty good. For the matters that I
have not taken time to study to become proficient at, I would refer to an
attorney. So you won't see from me, a home drawn will or trust, for
instance.

Thanks,
Bill Wesson

*I was at a company where Microsoft's own legal department wouldn't give a
straight answer on a licensing ambiguity. In that case, the only thing you
can do is buy protection in an attorney's letter of legal opinion.