Re: No Question with practical and ethical considerations.

Author: Phil Mattison
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: No Question with practical and ethical considerations.
> Here's an real IP conundrum. Let's say I purchased a music CD and
> duplicated it onto a blank CD for using in my car. I consider this to be
> fair use since if I am listening to it in my car, it's not playing at
> home or vice versa. Someone breaks into my car and steals the copy. Am I
> obligated to throw the original away?

I think this is an excellent illustration of the absurdity of IP law as
applied
to digital media. Another is pointed out in an article by Jason Rohrer
(author
of Mute, a P2P file sharing app): It is possible to create a digital hash
file
such that when cryptographically combined with an MP3 image of a
particular Madonna song it will produce an MP3 image of a particular
Beatles song, and vice-versa, for example. The author of the hash file
puts it in the public domain. I have a legal copy of the Madonna MP3
and use it with the hash to produce the Beatles MP3. Bob has a legal copy
of the Beatles MP3 and uses it to produce the Madonna MP3. Ignoring
for the moment what the courts would likely say, which artist's IP rights
supercede the other's? The simple truth: IP justice is an oxymoron.
There are no IP "rights," only prerogatives.
--Phil M.