Monitor colors were funky now mostly fixed

Author: Josef Lowder
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Monitor colors were funky now mostly fixed

As previously reported, I've been struggling to get my new flat panel Sony
19" monitor to work correctly and finally have >mostly< solved the problems.

Sadly, I am not exactly sure which of the several adjustments I made were
the most important to remedy the problems, but I pass along this debriefing
in case something here may help someone else.

It was difficult to find either an email address or phone number for Sony
tech support as that information not in any of the printed material that
came with this new monitor. Even Googling for "Sony tech support" led me on
a wild goose chase. Eventually I did find an email address and after paging
thru the usual dozen or so pages to get anywhere and filling out their
nuisance (you must fill in all the required fields) form, I got a reply from
<> suggesting that I call 866-357-SONY (7669).
Why does most everyone make us go through all this nuisance maze?

Once I finally did make contact with Sony tech support and provided the
incident reference number that was on their email reply, of course I had to
repeat all the same "required" information that was already on my original
email inquiry.

The Sony tech support rep was helpful and talked me through several
additional steps, including going to 'bios' (which I had not previously
done). I didn't make any changes to the bios, but somehow, just doing that
seems to have caused the LCD to begin working a whole lot better. It must
have reset or realigned something??? Very strange.

The main remaining issue is that the LCD colors are not as pleasing as the
old CRT colors were (a fact of life that others have also reported) and the
resolution isn't quite as vivid as CRT images ... but this new flat panel is
a whole lot easier on the eyes. A very dramatic difference.

There remained a slight greenish hue to everything, which I have attempted
to adjust with some success but still can't get it quite right. Now the
image is a bit too blue, but it's better than that ugly greenish. Just
can't seem to get to that nice, neutral gray for dialog boxes that I'm most
comfortable with. Still tweaking ...

Bottom line -- this Sony 19" flat panel from Fry's at $459 after $100 rebate
is the best combination of image quality and bang for the buck that I found.

Again, I just hope that this follow-up report is helpful to someone else.