Re: Monitor colors were funky now mostly fixed

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Monitor colors were funky now mostly fixed
On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 12:04 -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> As previously reported, I've been struggling to get my new flat panel Sony
> 19" monitor to work correctly and finally have >mostly< solved the problems.
>
> Sadly, I am not exactly sure which of the several adjustments I made were
> the most important to remedy the problems, but I pass along this debriefing
> in case something here may help someone else.
>
> It was difficult to find either an email address or phone number for Sony
> tech support as that information not in any of the printed material that
> came with this new monitor. Even Googling for "Sony tech support" led me on
> a wild goose chase. Eventually I did find an email address and after paging
> thru the usual dozen or so pages to get anywhere and filling out their
> nuisance (you must fill in all the required fields) form, I got a reply from
> <> suggesting that I call 866-357-SONY (7669).
> Why does most everyone make us go through all this nuisance maze?
>
> Once I finally did make contact with Sony tech support and provided the
> incident reference number that was on their email reply, of course I had to
> repeat all the same "required" information that was already on my original
> email inquiry.
>
> The Sony tech support rep was helpful and talked me through several
> additional steps, including going to 'bios' (which I had not previously
> done). I didn't make any changes to the bios, but somehow, just doing that
> seems to have caused the LCD to begin working a whole lot better. It must
> have reset or realigned something??? Very strange.
>
> The main remaining issue is that the LCD colors are not as pleasing as the
> old CRT colors were (a fact of life that others have also reported) and the
> resolution isn't quite as vivid as CRT images ... but this new flat panel is
> a whole lot easier on the eyes. A very dramatic difference.
>
> There remained a slight greenish hue to everything, which I have attempted
> to adjust with some success but still can't get it quite right. Now the
> image is a bit too blue, but it's better than that ugly greenish. Just
> can't seem to get to that nice, neutral gray for dialog boxes that I'm most
> comfortable with. Still tweaking ...
>
> Bottom line -- this Sony 19" flat panel from Fry's at $459 after $100 rebate
> is the best combination of image quality and bang for the buck that I found.
>
> Again, I just hope that this follow-up report is helpful to someone else.

-----
one of the problems with LCD's is the lack of consistency. If you look
down the row at a store like Fry's - each LCD displaying the same
image/backgrounds will be different in color, contrast and brightness -
at least my perception on analog connected LCD's

I tend to run them brighter than the default. Keep adjusting and see if
you can locate the gamma adjustment...I can't locate it on FC-3 Gnome
but IIRC, there is an adjustment in KDE

Craig