Re: Linux Stability

Author: Lee Einer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux Stability
Mental masturbation at least gives my right arm some rest, so I will
weigh in.

I first installed Linux (corel linux, yes, the shame, the shame) nearly
ten years ago. The reason was that Windows 95 and 98 spontaneously
corrupted on me so often that I ended up spending many hours per month
restoring my registry, etc, and I figured that if I was going to spend
this much time on system administration, I might as well educate myself
on the whys and wherefores of a stable system as well.

Corel was trashed, with the conspiratorial interference of MS, and the
rest is history. Now I use Mandrake and MEPIS.

The cherry on the cake, for me, is that Linux is altruistic- it is based
largely on the idea that free in speech trumps authoritarianism, and
that as humans we are much greater than the profit motive. We have the
proof before us, in the form of many applications which have been
created without the profit motive, and which are at least as good as the
commercial alternative.

I practice what I preach- My commercial website was created using only
free, open source software. I have my hard drive declared a MS free
zone, and I constantly talk with other small business owners about how
the can get MS off their hard drives.

Lee Einer
Dos Manos Jewelry
http://www.dosmanosjewelry.com