Re: Linux Stability

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux Stability
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 18:29 -0700, Phil Mattison wrote:
> > again - it would help if you understood your terms and your references.
> > I won't begin to debate this statement since it doesn't make sense to
> > me.
>
> > You don't know very much at all. This isn't the case - despite the
> > strength of your assertion, it is wrong.
>
> > I wish you knew what you were talking about.
>
> > Are you content to toss out silly generalizations that neither define
> > your terms or references and expect that people can take them seriously?
>
> > Other than to be negative, you don't seem to have a point at all.
>
> Yes, yes, of course you're right as always.
> We should all just keep quiet and sit at your feet in wonder and admiration.
> I just don't understand why you're not already King of the World.

----
me too!

Seriously though, we have gone around on this topic now 3 times in about
a year - each time it relates to your gripe that Linux doesn't compete
with Windows because...

I have 4 computers at my desk on a KVM. A Linux server (WBEL), a Linux
workstation (FC-3), a Windows workstation (XP Professional) and a
Macintosh. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and I use them
all - albeit Linux about 90% of the time. I have no intention at this
time of buying any more Windows or Macintosh software.

The only entities that I know of suggesting that Linux is a competitor
to Windows are those with something to sell - those with a vested
interest in selling Linux, selling hardware to run Linux or selling
services on Linux.

The economic viability of proprietary software eventually ends up at the
point where you have to keep selling the same thing over and over again
to the same people. Most of those who develop Linux software do so
because they believe in philosophy that software has substantially
matured to the point that people do not have to be held hostage to
provincial interests in order to surf the Internet, do email, use a word
processor, etc.

If someone or some company is telling you that their 'Linux package' can
do what Windows or Macintosh or ??? can do, your issue is with them.

Linux is not a promise to replace Macintosh or Windows or anything.
Linux is a community software project which someone can choose to
involve themselves in or not and by choosing, the implied contract is
that you properly report what doesn't work (i.e. bugzilla), contribute
to the knowledge base (how I was able to accomplish...), study, modify
and get involved.

Posting to this message base why Linux (which actually refers not to
Linux but the specific distro you are using and your ability/inability
to configure and/or troubleshoot) doesn't match up to Windows is just
mental masturbation which for some reason, you want share with us. I
feel it is counterproductive if not unsettling to those who are just
beginning to look at it.

Craig