Re: Linux Stability

Author: Phil Mattison
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux Stability
Believe it or not I was in fact attempting to make a constructive suggestion
in my original post, e.g. to separate the GUI front end from the kernel. If
X11 and all the non-graphical services were packaged with the kernel distro
it should be a fairly simple matter to define the interface between the GUI
and the kernel package as X11. If everybody thinks that is a stupid idea
then I guess it won't happen. It's not like you're saving the community by
shooting it down. No cause for alarm unless you see people getting on-board
with it.

I know all the major components of the distros are funded by big
corporations. I should think that would cast a little doubt on some of the
Pollyanna idealism I see in this forum. You just can't get away from those
evil capitalists, can you?

But maybe Linux will always be a pain in the butt for all but the most
ardent lovers of computing complexity. After all, there is something to be
said for job security.
--Phil M.