making the switch to linux 100%

Author: Mike H
To: plug
Subject: making the switch to linux 100%
hi pluggers,

I've new to linux but have brought myself up to speed rather quickly
considering my loathing of gates and his tactics.
but i should note that sometimes i do miss the ease of use, well fedora
has filled that nicely. I use gentoo as my hacking os and fedora as my
'kick back and use the damn computer' os. the laptop went through a lot
of stages: mandrake10, slackware 10, red hat 9 , all dual booting with
windoze, the fedora core 3 and slackware dualbooting with windows. then
i realized something. Fedora can replace XP. it's not as good really as
far as sound and video. my screen resolution is 800x600 but it's
tolerable belive it or not.

anyway one computer down one to go.. my Desktop computer.

anyway my point.
now the moment of truth. I'm ready to get rid of win2k on my desktop
computer.
But it serves a few functions:
plays music, plays video's (dvd'd and .avi's and the like)
and most importantly it runs my emule client.

that's my last great barrier is getting linux to use emule. or more
specifically x mule.

does anybody have any experience with xmule or the other one amule?

I have some specicif questions re: xmule I get some odd errors when i
try to install it thru synaptic in fedora core 3.

one is that my ip is blacklisted. the first error is that the folders
don't exist but that quickly goes away once I create them.
another is that when i try to install amule through synaptic i get this
error:

The chosen action also affects other packages. The following changes are
required in order to proceed.
To be upgraded
cryptopp

so i mark that for install too, but then....

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. make sure that
all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferneces.

amule:
Depends: libcurl.so.2

googling resulting in a comment about fedora core 3 using libcurl.so.3
and that is what the problem is, amule wants an older, i guess you could
say 'decprecated' one.

anyway, that's my problem

xmule installs but won't work...

amule doesn't install

once this issue is taken care of i can wipe this damn harddrive and put
Linux on it.
-and then hope like hell that i won't be forced to use some obscure
win32 application in the future that wine can't handle.
mike hoy