Re: SUSE product help

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SUSE product help
> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 02:00 pm, AZ Pete wrote:
> > They allow me to download the entire 9.1 distribution from their FTP
> > site, but this must then be copied to another machine and exported via
> > NFS. Or I can do the install directly from their FTP site. I'd like to
> > be able to burn the distro to a CD, which is not possible with this
> > product.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Basically, I'd to download a free, full-featured version that would offer
> > no support options. Much like the Redhat versions (before Fedora). For
> > example, I could download Redhat version 7.x, 8.x, 9.0 for free and it
> > would be the exact same product as the paid-for version, but I got no
> > support. Is there a SUSE product like this?
>
> Yes and no. SuSE does *not* have an ISO available for free download of
> their Professional version like Redhat does/did. Instead, they offer up
> the distro over FTP, as you noticed. That is pretty much the only way to
> install a free full-featured version of SuSE. The FTP version is the real
> deal, though.
>
> If you have broadband, then it's not a bad way to install. I've done it
> quite a few times.. sometimes even when I have the DVD. Installing over
> FTP is just too convenient to pass up (again, assuming you have broadband).
>
> Kurt

Since we're on this topic...
I have a SuSE 8.2 install that I was messing with yesterday. I was trying to
use YaST2 to load an application from the FTP site but it kept hanging. I
checked the config and it was set up to with an FTP site as the update source
- though the site might have changed, I would at least have expected YaST2 to
time out and tell me so. It did prompt me for a CD, which I didn't have.
Finally I gave up and got the app in RPM form from the rpmfind website. But
I was disappointed that YaST didn't work and was wondering if there was some
trick to using it.

Vaughn