Re: check your cox IP

Author: KevinO
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: check your cox IP
der.hans wrote:
> Am 02. Dec, 2004 schwätzte Eric "Shubes" so:
>

>>der.hans wrote:
>>
>>>moin, moin,
>>>
>>>if you have been using 68.98.98.125 today ( 01Dez2004 ), you might want to
>>>check for viruses on your local network...
>>>
>>>$ host 68.98.98.125
>>>Name: ip68-98-98-125.ph.ph.cox.net
>>>Address: 68.98.98.125
>>>
>>>ciao,
>>>
>>>der.hans
>>
>>Ok, mystery man. ;)
>>Why would that be?
>

> That would be because I got junk claiming to be from someone else on the
> list and the IP above is the one that gave it to me. Guess it could also
> be an open relay, but since it chose two addresses from the list I
> presumed it likely to be a virus that searches the hard drive for
> addresses to use when sending virus email.
>
> That would also explain the bounces from PLUG-announce to PLUG-discuss
> that were discussed yesterday.
>

>>This is, after all, a Linux list...
>

> I've noticed ;-).
>

>>Care to share?
>>
>>P.S. What about non cox?
>

> Oh, I get lots of SPAM from those as well, but this one looks like it's
> someone who has at some time been on the discuss list, so I thought I'd
> see if I was correct :).

I searched the 7033 old plug messages I have for that IP in the Received: line
of the headers. No match. I hate it when that happens.

Not even a dead-end to follow. ;-)

- --
Kevino

AMAZING BUT TRUE ...
    If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
    across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.