Re: OT: Motherboard and heat sync fan issue

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Motherboard and heat sync fan issue
> They sell power dongles that chang the connection from a smalll 2 pin or
> 3 pin like you connect to a mb to a 4 pin that would typically be on a
> hard drive that way you can get the power direct from the power supply
> and not the mother board.

Good idea but I don't think it is a solution. Here is what I have done:

Grabbing a volt meter, I checked the voltages on the three pin connector
on the motherboard. One is ground (black wire), one is +12v (middle red
wire) and the other was ground(?) (yellow wire). I then checked the other
motherboard where the "dead" fan works. It has +9v on the yellow wire
pin.

I have not bothered to research why the fan uses +12 and +9 volts. I've
spent enough time dinking around with it. Time to get a new motherboard
(with a faster CPU!)

Alan