Re: gentoo passwd question

Author: Rudolfo Munguia
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: gentoo passwd question
Environment / Profile

Wierdest I have seen yet: on 2004-2 after compiling the kernel ( on an
upgrade of afformentioned servers ) from Stage1 install, Server A
progressed fine through recognizing hardware on boot, Server B
reported that there were no modules available and proceeded to throw
out hundreds of lines of RC_Tree messages. And would allow root login,
but there were no services available other than basic kernel level.

I ended up just DD'ing server A's drive since they were identical ( we
had a deadline to meet). After checking through some of the forums and
bugs, it seems that the environment and/or profile will get stuck in
an old state. How the install scripts miss that, I don't know....

I just go and manually check for the current profiles and correct
ENV_xxxx variables upon new installs now.