Re: which SUSE and where?

Author: Lynn David Newton
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: which SUSE and where?

Kurt> SuSE 9.1 Personal is definitely a nice
Kurt> distribution.. but IMO, the Personal versions
Kurt> are a pale shadow of the Professional. Offhand,
Kurt> I think they leave out all development tools
Kurt> and most server related ones. Since that's what
Kurt> I typically use Linux for (software development
Kurt> and web/mail/file serving), Personal just
Kurt> wouldn't cut it.

Umm ... for instance, what gets left off?

I definitely need stuff like perl, mysql, apache,
subversion ...

Kurt> I'd recommend buying 9.2 Professional from
Kurt> somewhere. ...

Thanks for the recommendation, but (a) buying stuff is
not in my power to do right now; (b) I need it
*tomorrow* if possible; (c) the owner of the company
I'm working for will hand deliver 9.1 it to me tomorrow
or the next day -- free, of course.

Kurt> believe it became a lot easier to get cheaper
Kurt> versions of the distro then it used to be.

Kurt> .. SuSE has always had the (again, IMO) best X
Kurt> configuration ...

That's good news.

Why do I feel like someone who's just been told: "This
thing is called a parachute. When I give you a shove,
count to ten and pull on this thing."

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ