which SUSE and where?

Author: Lynn David Newton
To: PLUG
Subject: which SUSE and where?

Can someone tell me exactly which SUSE ISO I need to
download to get the latest and greatest running on my
home Dell? (A 4.5-year old Dell with P3 @500MB, 512MB
RAM, 20GB hard drive.)

I might be able to make the answer easier by saying
that I am at this moment downloading

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386/9.1-personal-iso/SUSE-9.1-x86.iso

I think that may be what I need, but I see a plethora
of other choices ... "9.2 Blah Blah" and "Professional
More Blah Blah". And I don't have time to get and load
the wrong thing.

I need to install SUSE on my system pronto, especially
in light of no upcoming Installfest, since I can no
longer wait, I have a ton of work on my shoulders, and
need to get this onerous task done.

The company I'm presently working for is using SUSE, so
even though it would not have been my first choice, I
hear many good things about it from people with decades
of experience with Linux systems, and it pays me to run
the same thing on my home work system.

I wonder if anyone happens to live near me who already
has this on CDs that I can borrow and copy? I live in
northeast Phoenix, near 40th and Thunderird.

If I screw this up, I'm going to be not working until I
get it fixed.

I'll have to wipe my drive clean and reslice it.
(Actually, *unslice* it, i.e., I intend to make it all
one file system.) Is whatever disk management tool that
comes with SUSE usable by ordinary human beings? I
don't have to deal with dual boots or anything like
that.

Are there any hard parts to the installation I need to
look out for? How about X configuration? (Shudder.)

Thank you.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ