Re: OT: Educating users about Security

Author: Bob Holtzman
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Educating users about Security
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

> I used the lock you car, lock your house analogies. My coworker (who had the
> most bug-ridden computer in the office) just argued with me that she didn't
> have anything anyone would want on her computer. I then asked her if she ever
> went online to her bank to check her bank account. She said she did. I told
> her about keystroke loggers that could get her bank account information and
> how someone could raid her bank account. She said if that happened, she would
> just file a fraud report with the bank. I asked her how she would pay her
> rent and bills in the meantime. She answered that she didn't think anyone
> would ever raid her bank account.

Cool! Raid the account and if there's enough there I'll meet you at the
Mexican border.

> I told her she could be the victim of
> identity theft. She started getting visibly annoyed (with me, not with
> herself) and walked off, shaking her head, accusing me of reading bogus scare
> literature and just being paranoid.
>
> And people like this vote, and blame the schools when their children are
> idiots!

Ignorance can be excused. Smug stupidity calls for euthanizing them and
their children before *they* can reproduce, thereby throwing a little
chlorox into the gene pool.

--
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"