Re: OT: Educating users about Security

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Educating users about Security
Siri Amrit Kaur said:

> I used the lock you car, lock your house analogies. My coworker (who had
> the most bug-ridden computer in the office) just argued with me that
> she didn't have anything anyone would want on her computer. I then

Maybe SHE didn't have anything but if she has access to business data an
intruder could go after that data. Ask her if she would like to loose her
job if the company to goes out of business because of stolen business data
resulting in lawsuits from customers or a competitor having all your
inside information or because someone thought it would be funny to delete
all the company's data. Ask her if she would like it discovered that a
damaging company data theft was traced back to her computer usage habits.
Ask her if the boss would like that.

I sympathize with your plight. I have recently cut off free computer
services to a neighbor of mine. He got cable internet a while back and
refuses to run a firewall or any other protection on his computer bcause
"It's too hard." We solved it the first, second and third times by
bringing the box to my house, behind my firewall, to do a clean install
and updates. When I told him I would not do it for free the fourth time
because he still had not installed ZoneAlarm or anything, he just said
he'd do the re-install himself. He now reformats and re-installs his
WinXP Home every 2 months rather than learn how to deny and allow programs
in ZoneAlarm or take any other protective measures!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Alan