DSL question

Author: Jim
To: plug-discuss
Subject: DSL question
I have a P 200 with 64MB of RAM. It's running Slackware 9. I use it as a
mail and ftp server. I also have a windows box connected to it. It has
two ethernet cards. They both have the RTL8139 chips. One is connected
to the DSL modem and the other to the windows box.

My ISP (getnet) and Qwest both say the modem is connected at 1.5Mbps. The
problem is I'm not getting anything close to that speed. When I'm
downloading something, IPtraf shows between 570 kbits/sec and 600
kbits/sec.

That's the most downstream bandwidth I get. If I start a second download
before the first one's finished, that bandwidth is split between the two.

Any idea why I'm getting half the bandwidth I should be getting? Is there
anything I can do to my linux box to improve the situation?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

--
Del Boy for President.