Re: I did a really dumb thing - follow up

Author: Don Calfa
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: I did a really dumb thing - follow up
Don Calfa wrote:

> Jared Anderson wrote:
>
>> *************************************************************************************

I know what I did. I untarred a tarball in my Volume (SW RAID)
directory and the contents of the tarball had a bunch of *.bin files. I
wanted to move the *.bin files to another directory and instead of
*.bin, I mistyped *bin and that moved the *.bin files AND the /bin
directory to my /Volume directory. I found my /bin directory later via
NFS from another system.

I could have fixed this if I hadn't logged out of my SSH session.

Not being able to use webmin, login, or SSH, I came to the fact that I
needed to reboot this system to fix it. Knoppix didn't work for me
(3.6) because it mounted the directoried in read-only and I couldn't
find a quick way to do otherwise. Lesson for the future.

An update of RH8 didn't work because the packages on the system are
later than what's on the media.
An update of RH9 didn't work because of the same as above.
A reinstall to RH9 without formatting worked. Needed to make a few
changes to postfix and it all seems to work.

Now this happened on a server for me and no one else and the loss of the
/bin directory is pretty frightening if this were to happen on a
production server. On the plus side, all the services continued to work
until I killed the server (obviously)

Now being paranoid, would the addition of a say /bin2 directory be a
good idea?