Re: Video card options

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Video card options
On Thursday 14 October 2004 11:59 am, wrote:

> I wouldn't reccomend a SiS card, cos support's scattershot. If you must
> buy a $19.95 card, TNT2-M64 may be your best option. Radeon 7000s seem to
> have poor compatibility

I used a TNT2-M64 with no problem for a long time and still think it's a
decent card if you're not into 3-D gaming. But when a lot of distros recently
started installing the NVIDIA 3-D drivers by default, it caused me a lot of
problems. Those drivers are sometimes incompatible with this oldest of NVIDIA
cards. Couldn't start X at all with Mandrake 9.1 after I installed the
drivers myself, and X crashed all the time with SuSE 9.1 and PCLinuxOS when
they installed them by default. SuSE wouldn't let me UN-install the NVIDIA
drivers, so SuSE was useless unless I changed my video card.

FWIW, I've set up three boxes with NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440's and the NVIDIA
drivers, and they're great. I don't do a lot of gaming. It plays Maelstrom,
LBreakout2 and Tux Racer just fine, and we don't get any fancier than that
around here. I think it's about $35 now...

I like semi-older hardware like this card. It usually runs cooler than newer
stuff...

Siri Amrit