Video card options

Author: Josef Lowder
To: PLUG
Subject: Video card options

What "best-value" video-cards do you all recommend for a nice,
crisp display result?

I thought that the new motherboard I ordered (Asus A7V8X-X)
had onboard video, but after it arrived, I discovered that it did not.

Rather than incurring both the delay and a restocking charge
to ship my mistake back and start over trying to try to figure out
what motherboard to get as a replacement, I decided to just live
with my mistake and use a video card.

First, I borrowed a video card out one of my other boxes so I could
try to get the new system I am building put together and fire it up.
But it seems that this first video card, and one other that a friend
loaned me to try, both produce a less than satisfactory result.
The display image is not crisp, and there seems to be a slight jitter.

I am sure that the problem is not with my monitor because switching
to my other system (via an electronic switch) gives me a perfectly
satisfactory display quality from the other system on the same monitor.

I don't think I need a "high-performance" video card because I don't play
any video games. I just want a nice clear display image. Of course,
it would be nice to be able to play DVD videos, but that is not essential.

I had thought I wanted to avoid nvidia because of some of the things I've
read about their being proprietary, etc. ... but then, on the other hand,
I've also been told that nvidia gforce (I think) works well with Linux.

So, what "good-value" video card(s) would you all suggest.

I think the video card in my older system that I am replacing is
an "S-3" but I'm not sure about that. Is that still a good video card?
Also, I recently read something about ATI actively supporting Linux.

Finally, what command can I run from the command line to obtain
a comprehensive list and description of all the components, peripherals,
and configuration details of everything on my system?

As always, thanks for all the great help you good people provide.

Joe