Re: How to download photos from digital camera

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to download photos from digital camera
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Josef Lowder wrote:

> edit /etc/fstab     # to add this:
>     # /dev/sda1 /mnt/film  msdos ro,noauto,user 0 0
>     # or #
>     # /dev/sda1 /mnt/film   vfat    rw,noauto,user 0 0
>     # I understand 'noauto' so it doesn't try to mount at boot time
>     # but I don't understand msdos -vs- vfat or 'ro' vs 'rw'

You don't need to do the fstab part. You can do that later. But you
(probably) should test before doing it.

vfat is the type of filesystem used by Windows 98. msdos is the FAT file
system. vfat is extended FAT. vfat has better attributes that msdos. I
guess it depends on what your particular camera uses. Try vfat and if it
fails, then try msdos.

> mount /dev/sda1        # to mount the camera directory
>     # or #
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/film
>     # or #
> mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/camera
>     # can't figure out which of the three 'mount' syntax's above to use?

Use the third one for testing. The second one is not needed at all. The
first one will work when you have it set up in /etc/fstab later if you
desire.

Be sure to use correct device name (/dev/sda1? /dev/sdb1?) and mount point
you created (mkdir /mnt/camera).

> cp /mnt/camera/dcim/100media/* /home/name/photos/041015
>     # dcim and 100media are sub-dirs on some camera file systems
>     # or #
>     # /dcim/camera-related-name-string (another had 100cnxnt)
>     # or #
> cp -rav /mnt/film/* ~/photos/
>     # can't figure out what the correct cp syntax should be?

cp -r grabs everything (recursively)
-a preserves all permissions and attributes (as best as it can)
-v verbosely shows you what files it is copying

> umount /dev/sda1
>     # or #
> umount /mnt/film
>     # I understand the 'umount' command, but why do some say
>     # umount /dev/sda1 and others umount /mnt/film ?
>     # are these two the same?

When you don't put full mount or umount options, those commands check the
/etc/fstab to get the rest of the info. (Your examples looks in /etc/fstab
for "/dev/sda1" and "/mnt/film" which is fine once you set it up.)

Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/