Re: How to download photos from digital camera

Author: Josef Lowder
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to download photos from digital camera

Friends, I appreciate the help and suggestions that I've received
so far on this matter ... but I'm still confused.

Following is a recap of various of steps that have been recommended
by various sources. I can't figure out which are necessary and which
are not needed (or incorrect):

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
fdisk -l     # to find out what /dev to use, i.e. /dev/sda1
    # but what does all this mean: ev/sda1 * 2 999 15963+ 1 FAT12
mount -t usbdevfs usb /proc/bus/usb
    # or #
mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
    # Which one? What's the difference in 'usb' and 'none' ?
modprobe usb-storage     # What is this for? Do I need it?
mkdir -p /mnt/camera (or) /mnt/film - I understand this one.
edit /etc/fstab     # to add this:
    # /dev/sda1 /mnt/film  msdos ro,noauto,user 0 0
    # or #
    # /dev/sda1 /mnt/film   vfat    rw,noauto,user 0 0
    # I understand 'noauto' so it doesn't try to mount at boot time
    # but I don't understand msdos -vs- vfat or 'ro' vs 'rw'
mount /dev/sda1        # to mount the camera directory
    # or #
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/film
    # or #
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/camera
    # can't figure out which of the three 'mount' syntax's above to use?
cp /mnt/camera/dcim/100media/* /home/name/photos/041015
    # dcim and 100media are sub-dirs on some camera file systems
    # or #
    # /dcim/camera-related-name-string (another had 100cnxnt)
    # or #
cp -rav /mnt/film/* ~/photos/
    # can't figure out what the correct cp syntax should be?
umount /dev/sda1
    # or #
umount /mnt/film
    # I understand the 'umount' command, but why do some say
    # umount /dev/sda1 and others umount /mnt/film ?
    # are these two the same?

My original question was:

> Another response said:
> mount /dev/sdb1 /something
> cp /something/dcim/*/* location you want files
> umount /something

The other syntax examples listed above I found on the 'net.

=== End of this post ===