Re: How necessary are security updates?

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How necessary are security updates?
Thank you for all the suggestions. I have some followup questions. Probably
won't be able to get back to this though until tomorrow AM...

On Thursday 14 October 2004 05:28 am, Dennis Kibbe wrote:

> Depends on the nature of the update. Mozilla would be an important one I
> would think.
>
> I can burn you a cd with all (or most) of the Slackware 10 updates. Will
> you be at the meeting Thrusday?

Not planning on being at the meeting, but thanks anyway, Dennis. I got all the
updates for now, including Mozilla.

> > Can you let it do downloads overnight? If so, can slackware handle
> > interrupted downloads?

How? What is the command?

> > Let's say you can get 1/3 of the data you need in a night. You could
> > then, over a period of 3 nights, get all the updates, then do the actual
> > installation of the updates after than when it's convenient for you.
>
> wget would be the obvious choice here.

My ISP cuts me off after 4 hours. I think there's a way to set ppp to redial
but then the download doesn't seem to resume. Then I'm left with an internet
connection on all night su to root and that's more insecure than I ever do!

> > ps auxw | less
> > look for extraneous processes
> > for instance, I usually uninstall the at daemon

I uninstalled the at daemon like you said. That was the only daemon I had
running.

> > lsof -i
> > look for LISTEN for TCP ports and active UDP ports

root@localhost:/home/tigerflag# lsof -i
COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
cupsd    950 root    0u  IPv4   2313       TCP *:631 (LISTEN)
cupsd    950 root    2u  IPv4   2314       UDP *:631
X       2403 root    1u  IPv4  12933       TCP *:x11 (LISTEN)

> You can start with nmap localhost whic h will show you what services are
> listening on what ports.

Don't have it installed, but I'll install it later and check...

> > Are those patches all the updates or just the security updates? Ideally,
> > in your situation, you just want the security updates.

I don't know. I do only want the security updates. I "think" the patches are
only security updates, as slackpkg gives them highest priority, and they
looked like the packages mentioned at slackware.com as having security
updates.

> > > Given how conservatively I use my computer, how likely is it that I'll
> > > be compromised and have my computer turned into a zombie or something
> > > if I don't do updates anymore?
> >
> > Well, random crack attempts from viruses, etc. generally don't care that
> > you're only on a modem or that you think you're safe.

What I'm asking here is how likely is that to happen? Viruses in linux? How
likely is that? Especially if my ports aren't visible?