Re: How necessary are security updates?

Author: Jay Jacobson
To: plug
Subject: Re: How necessary are security updates?
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, der.hans wrote:

>> surfing, email, burning music cd's and writing. I don't do any remote
>> connections, file-sharing, chat, or instant messaging. I have decent
>> passwords and a well-configured firewall, i.e. all ports show "stealth"
>> according to grc.com.
>
> OK, not familiar with grc.com and quickly got bored on their site. Too
> many mentions of redmondianness probably :).
>
> If an external scan is showing that you don't have open ports, that's a
> good thing.

Keep in mind that GRC only tests for a few ports. Their port scan does
*not* test for all TCP ports. Likewise, their pre-configured port lists
are geared toward the masses of Windows desktops (as is their whole site).
Thus, a "test" from GRC is not even close to being comprehensive.

One possible option is that Edgeos <http://www.edgeos.com> offers one free
complete external vulnerability assessment. This will not only test all
65,535 TCP ports, but also test for 2,500+ potential vulnerabilities and
attacks. You can sign up and get the one free assessment at
<https://www.edgeos.com/order/>.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am associated with Edgeos. However,
the option I describe above is completely free.

~Jay

--
..
.. Jay Jacobson