autosave (and other always empty directories)

Author: Josef Lowder
To: PLUG
Subject: autosave (and other always empty directories)

There is a subdirectory in my user files named 'autosave' that
I did not create and that never has anything in it (as nearly as
I can tell).

What is this directory supposed to be for and is there any reason
why I should not remove/delete it?

Actually, I have noticed quite a few apparently always empty files
on my system that I would like to remove/delete unless there is
some essential purpose for them. Is there a list somewhere of
all such directories that could be safely removed?

Joe