Re: Browser woes

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Browser woes
On Thursday 23 September 2004 13:03, you wrote:
> On Thursday 23 September 2004 17:55, you wrote:
> > Opera needs the motif library for plugins to work properly. lesstif also
> > works if it's new enough to implement motif 2 (in some distros the
> > lesstif package will do, in others there's a seperate lesstif2 package).
> > That's the only problem I've ever run into getting plugins to work in
> > Opera. Good luck!
> >
> >      --Nick

> Well, that's one possible problem eliminated. I checked and I do have
> lesstif installed. Also, acroread works. It's just that when loading a
> PDF, Opera fails silently for some reason. It even gives me a nice blank
> window to look at. :-)
>
> Vaughn
>
> P.S. I was also trying to get plugins working on the ancient version of
> Mozilla that came with Mandrake 8. After installing the Flash plugin, I
> managed to disable Mozilla so it starts four processes, all of which hang.
> I removed the Flash plugin but the problem remained. Go figure. I
> downloaded Firefox but it needs much newer libraries and for reasons I
> can't explain at the moment, I cannot upgrade the kernel on this machine.
> (I've tried, it experiences mysterious lockups. As I can't afford a new
> motherboard and/or RAM at this time, I'm stuck with it. :-( )

I will (partially) answer my own questions.
1. You can invoke opera with the -debugplugin flag. Mine produces the
follwing output:
opera: [plugin probing] /usr/lib/opera/plugins/nppdf.so
opera: [plugin failed ] /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so,
/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2.4' not found (required by
/usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so)
opera: [plugin probing] /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libnpp.so
opera: [plugin probing] /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so
opera: [plugin probing] /usr/lib/RealPlayer8/rpnp.so
opera: [plugin banned ] /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/libnullplugin.so
opera: [plugin probing] /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/plugger.so
opera: [plugin probing] /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/rpnp.so
opera: [plugin probing] /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/nppdf.so
opera: [plugin failed ] /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so,
/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2.4' not found (required by
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so)

It looks like the acrobat stuff is fine, but the flash player requires Glibc
2.2.4 and I have 2.2.2. As I cannot update the kernel on this machine, it
looks like I may be S.O.L. on that one. Or I may have to go back to Opera 6,
which is what I was using on my other machine. Opera 7 does not appear to
work with the flash plugins for Opera 6. If anybody has any other
suggestions, I certainly would appreciate them.

I tried once more setting the preferences to launch acrobat instead of using
the plugin. Turns out I'd had the path wrong for acroread, so it least it
"sort of" works now. Launching Acrobat separately is not as slick as the
plugin, but at least it works.

2. I fixed Mozilla by copying the files from the "root" accounts ".mozilla"
directory into my own directory (and changing their ownership, of course.)
Something was hosed in that directory which prevented Mozilla from running.
Now it does.

Just in case anyone was interested ...
Vaughn