Re: USB Mass Storage devices

Author: Ed Skinner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: USB Mass Storage devices
On Sunday 19 September 2004 06:37, Steve Holmes wrote:

> I'm having trouble mounting my USB mass storage devices with my linux
> 2.6.6 kernel. I have the hotplug support compiled into my kernel and
> the hotplug script, /etc/rc.d/rc.hotplug seems to be working fine.
> What happens when I do a 'cdrecord -scanbus', I can see that my USB
> device does get registered as a valid SCSI device and appropriately
> assigned something like 0,0,0 ... and the manufacturer is listed and
> all that. But when I try and mount the thing as 'mount -t vfat
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb, I keep getting a message that /dev/sda1 is not a
> valid block device. I also tried other devices such as /dev/sdb1,
> sdc1... but same results. I was able to earlier get these things
> mounted after rebooting the machine with the device already plugged in
> but now that doesn't work anymore. I dohave to admit I moved this all
> over to a new mother board with new hardware so that could complicate
> things a bit but still, How can I figure out the linkage between the
> valid USB mass storage device, SCSI and a valid mount device?
>
> - --
> HolmesGrown Solutions
> The best solutions for the best price!
> http://ld.net/?holmesgrown

Hmmm, this sounds familiar.
On earlier Red Hat distributions, my notes say:
     mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
But on Fedora II (and I think also with RH 9), I have to:
     mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb

     In the first case I had to use the "sda1" minor device but, in later
distributions, I have to use "sda" [without the "1"]. If I do it the old way
(using "sda1" on the newer distributions), I get an error similar to what you
see.
     I'm also quite sure there is a couple of second delay between when I
insert the USB device and when it becomes ready in /dev/sda. Attempting to
mount it before that magic moment usually begets an error.
     And finally, on rare occasion, the USB device will appear to "mount"
successfully, but only a small portion of its contents are visible. When that
happens, I "umount" the device and "mount" it again -- that usually "heals"
the problem.

Good luck!

--
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/