Re: Linux Help

Author: Alexander Henry
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux Help
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:50:18 -0700, Danny Vasquez
<> wrote:

> I'm new to the Linux world.  I've setup a machine using Mandrake 8.2.
> This
> is a list of what I need installed.  I've spent hours going around in
> circle
> on the net and am frustrated so anyone that help me out would be greatly
> appreciated!! :-)
> I need to check to make sure I have apache installed.  I think it's there
> but how do I find out for sure?
> So far I've configured the network card using just    ifconfig
> 192.168.101.199 netmask 255.255.255.0
> I can ftp to the box.  I need to install mod_ssl 2.8.7?  Where do I get
> it
> how do I install?
> After that OpenSSl 0.9.6c needs to installed.
> PHP 4.1.2
> MySQL 3.23.47
> CURL 7.9.4
> And Zip 2.3

if you want to check if apache is _running_, then go to a browser and
http://localhost .
if nothing happens, then
$ps ax
and see if apache appears anywhere on the list. If not,
$su -
#/etc/init.d/apache2 start
(or)
#/etc/init.d/httpd start
(or whatever it actually is)

if not, then it's probably not installed! Use Mandrake's package manager
to install it.

ssl and mysql are all similar. The daemon needed for people to use ssl is
sshd. so ps ax to see if it's running, otherwise /etc/init.d/sshd start,
otherwise install it with qrpmi.

php is just a program with hooks inside apache. It's either there or not;
if it's there, you should be able to run it from the command line, 'php'.
http://php.net has very good troubleshooting guides for making it work in
Apache.

zip is also just a program. either it's installed and you can run it from
the command line, or not.

Don't be afraid to experiment, or come to the installfest tomorrow
(Saturday) for help!

--

--Alexander