Re: modem permissions

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: modem permissions
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Michael Havens wrote:

> bmike1@0[bmike1]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS4
> crw-rw-r--    1 root     root       4,  68 2004-08-02 12:40 /dev/ttyS4
> bmike1@0[bmike1]$ sudo chown bmike1 /dev/ttyS4
> bmike1@0[bmike1]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS4
> crw-rw-r--    1 bmike1   root       4,  68 2004-08-02 12:40 /dev/ttyS4
> bmike1@0[bmike1]$

> There is a group called 'dialout' (1) to which my user belongs. I am thinking
> that pppd or ttyS4 has not been linked with this group but I don't know. It

Maybe instead of using chown, use chgrp to change the group.

Maybe fix with:

chown root:dialout /dev/ttyS4

Note that even though you have write access to the device (modem), you
still need to have "root" privileges to configure your interface and
routing, etc.

So sudo should be fine for your dialup connection.

In the past, sometimes I ran the GUI as a normal user and then ran the
setup script(s) as root.

Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/