Re: modem permissions

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: modem permissions

On Monday 02 August 2004 14:15, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> fix with:
>
> chown root:dialout /dev/ttyS4

PLease do tell:
What does that mean?
wait ... I'll look in the man first.....
So it seems to me as if the manpages are saying that

changes ownership to 'root' and the group to 'dialout' of the file ttyS4. That
must be right because I just attempted a reconnect and it works.

In any case, how would I go about figuring out the group that gtkam is...
wait.... let's create a group and add my user to it (1).
Let's see, I created a group now how to add the user to the group...

man adduser
       Add an existing user to an existing group
       If called with two non-option arguments, adduser will add  an  existing
       user to an existing group.

Well, that didn't work. What did I do wrong? (2)

Do I need to change the permissions on gtkam? (3)

Well. That didn't work.

I do not know where to proceed from here. Comments? Directions?
--
<:-)Mike(-:>

1-
bmike1@1[bmike1]$ ls -l /usr/bin/gtkam
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       139680 2003-01-22 03:10 /usr/bin/gtkam
bmike1@1[bmike1]$ sudo addgroup gtkam
Adding group gtkam (1004)...
Done.
bmike1@1[bmike1]$

2-
bmike1@1[bmike1]$ sudo adduser bmike1 gtkam
Adding user bmike1 to group gtkam...
Done.
bmike1@1[bmike1]$ more -l /etc/group |grep gtkam
gtkam:x:1004:bmike1
bmike1@1[bmike1]$

3-
bmike1@1[bmike1]$ sudo chmod 777 /usr/bin/gtkam
bmike1@1[bmike1]$

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/