Re: modem permissions

Author: Michael Havens
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: modem permissions

> What user and group owns [/dev/ttyS4]? And what are the permissions like?

bmike1@0[bmike1]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS4
crw-rw-r--    1 root     root       4,  68 2004-08-02 12:40 /dev/ttyS4
bmike1@0[bmike1]$ sudo chown bmike1 /dev/ttyS4
bmike1@0[bmike1]$ ls -l /dev/ttyS4
crw-rw-r--    1 bmike1   root       4,  68 2004-08-02 12:40 /dev/ttyS4
bmike1@0[bmike1]$

There is a group called 'dialout' (1) to which my user belongs. I am thinking
that pppd or ttyS4 has not been linked with this group but I don't know. It
would be safer were this so. But I am all alone; security is of miminal
concern to me.
--
<:-)Mike(-:>
PS~ I got a job last FRIDAY being a cable puller.

1-
bmike1@0[bmike1]$ grep dialout /etc/group
dialout:x:20:bmike1,root,guest
bmike1@0[bmike1]$

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or viruses.
Please report spam to . If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with every account.

http://www.vei.net/