Re: runlevel

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: runlevel
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Craig White wrote:

> A P II/300 with 128 MB RAM is gonna be slow doing X

I have happily ran X on 33Mhz 486 machines with 8, 12 and 16 MB of memory.

For years, I used a Pentium 133 with 128MB of memory running X.

Yes it was slow, but definitely usable.

> No reason to run X on a server, especially one like you are talking
> about because too many processes will be running.

I agree that X is not needed on the server. But don't see how it is
limited his system -- not enough details were provided.

Some useful information would be to sort ps output by cpu usage, memory
usage, paging, virtual size, etc. See what processes/tasks are really
causing any slowness.

Jeremy C. Reed

                http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/