runlevel

Author: Michael Sammartano
To: plug-discuss
Subject: runlevel
I am willing to try this if somebody gives me good reason to.
I am considering running my server box in run level 3 if and only if I
will get better responses from the box via ftp, http, and ssh. Currently
it is running ok, but it tends to be slow when I am running several things
at once like email or a browser. I currently am using an old compaq
presario, P-II 300, 128mb RAM, and I am using 98% of it. I Also have about
500mb of swap avail.. What I would like to know is if I run at init 3 will
not having x running speed things up? If so where do I make the change as
I know I can do it in term via $init 3
Currently I am in 3 however my backgroung is graphical like I was in
failsafe. This is most annoying as I can not use most of my screen!
Mike