Re: music recording

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: music recording
ec wrote:
> An 'non linux' person I am friends with wants to
> 'copy' his old 33 1/3 rpm records to cdroms to play in
> his 'home entertainment syste'.
> - - -
> 2. IF so, what needs to be there to get it into the
> system besides a record player hooked up. IE. what
> hardware and software do we need for it to be copied
> into the system in a 'useable' format. His computer is
> modern enough, amd xp2600, 120gb hd, 512mb ram, and I
> believe a dvd burner?? I know it has a cdrom burner.
> I/he has (as far as I know) a SB16 live pci card for
> sound. It is on my 'hand me down' from him p3-850, but
> IF that is the most capable sound, then would this be
> able to input the sound from some 'home entertainment'
> system or do we need one with 'more inputs'?? Not sure
> his system has anything except the built-in sound on
> m/b.

I have only one experience doing this, and it took
some tinkering. The computer was a recent model MAC,
so I presume OS X, and there was some software that
created .WAV tracks from the sound card's input.
The audio came from a mixer board, and it was the
headphone jack that seemed to provide the most
compatible level. The MAC software basically allows
you to start recording on cue, and transfers what
it hears to a .WAV track until you stop it,
not unlike recording to tape. You need to experiment
with the audio to get max signal over noise but without
distortion. The guy running the laptop had earphones
plugged into it to monitor, if I remember right.

Hope this snippet helps a little.

Vic