music recording

Author: ec
To: plug
Subject: music recording
An 'non linux' person I am friends with wants to
'copy' his old 33 1/3 rpm records to cdroms to play in
his 'home entertainment syste'.

I am not a music type person myself, so stupid here
hopes to help dummy there!!! Also, eventually to copy
another friend's records to cdrom/dvd for

He is a 'doze XP' user.

My questions are:

1. Can knoppix 3.4 be used when 'mirrored', ie, booted
to a mirrored image on the hard drive? Does it have
that capablity on the cdrom?

2. IF so, what needs to be there to get it into the
system besides a record player hooked up. IE. what
hardware and software do we need for it to be copied
into the system in a 'useable' format. His computer is
modern enough, amd xp2600, 120gb hd, 512mb ram, and I
believe a dvd burner?? I know it has a cdrom burner.
I/he has (as far as I know) a SB16 live pci card for
sound. It is on my 'hand me down' from him p3-850, but
IF that is the most capable sound, then would this be
able to input the sound from some 'home entertainment'
system or do we need one with 'more inputs'?? Not sure
his system has anything except the built-in sound on
m/b.

3. What format should it be burned into for his home
entertainment system. What is the 'standard' music
cdrom format?

Again, he wants to run it from the 'home entertainment
system', which is a fairly good midrange system. Not
sure what make/model, not at his place for a few days
to see what inputs/outputs it has. I know that
currently the TV is thru it, but not sure of its
output(s).

The whole project isn't a 'hurry up' thing, so..

I know that none of the records he has would have any
anti copy stuff as almost all are pre 1990 stuff. He
just wants to have them on cdrom to play back
from..ditto the other friend.

Some are 'fairly' rare..Marty Robbins 'hell bent for
leather' album for one.

=====
Cyclists should expect and demand safe
accommodation on our public roads,