Re: How to ghost a win98 partition

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to ghost a win98 partition
Thanks, Alan and Bart.

One more note - On reviewing, I see that the old disk is
just an old 2GB Micropolis SCSI drive, I didn't mention
the SCSI part before. I don't know if the Win98 partition
table and OS areas will be incompatible with an IDE,
causing Win98 either to not boot, or to get upset if/when
it wakes up on a new IDE.

The new drive is a Western Digital. We tried it on this
machine once already and the machine didn't see it at all.
But then I saw something in the instructions about the
8GB limit and they showed a configuration with two jumpers
specifically for that situation, so I'll try again.

... or not. I think Computer Renaissance has some
used 6GB drives at $20 each. I can use the 80GB
elsewhere!

Yes, I'll report back.

And no, I won't lose any critical data. It's just
Money 98 (that's the reason for this whole machine!),
and we have its data backed up before moving on.

I'll report back ...

Thanks,

Vic