Re: How to ghost a win98 partition

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to ghost a win98 partition
On Friday 16 July 2004 09:19 pm, Victor Odhner wrote:
> Thanks, Alan and Bart.
>
> One more note - On reviewing, I see that the old disk is
> just an old 2GB Micropolis SCSI drive, I didn't mention
> the SCSI part before. I don't know if the Win98 partition
> table and OS areas will be incompatible with an IDE,
> causing Win98 either to not boot, or to get upset if/when
> it wakes up on a new IDE.

The MBR, partition table and filesystem are not storage technology dependent.
The actual system structure should not care if it is IDE or SCSI.

UNLESS

The SCSI host adapter is an early "crippled" one with funny drivers or BIOS
interface, etc. Then, the MBR or other places may have wierd stuff in it to
make the SCSI host boot correctly. What is the SCSI host adapter, make and
model?

Even if this bad case is true, it is only time if you use dd to copy it and it
doesn't work. The command line will change to have if=/dev/sda for the SCSI
drive source.

A second alternative (making this up as I type) would be to boot with a Win98
boot disk, use fdisk to partition the new drive. Then format it with the /s
option so that the new disk is bootable. THEN boot a Linux cd and use dd to
copy the from and to the partitions: dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/hda1... This
second procedure may still leave you with funny boot issues, like not
starting windows automatically or somthing like that.

But, don't worry about that yet. If the SCSI host BIOS is smart enough to
know how to boot, which it should unless it is very old, just following the
original plan should work. I think. Maybe. Try it.

> I'll report back ...

Please do. I am curious how this one will turn out.

Alan