Re: K3B

Author: ec
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: K3B
--- Roy Babin <> wrote:
> ec wrote:
>
> >--- Roy Babin <> wrote:
> >

> >>Finnally gotK3B under Suse9.1 to burn a file, but
> >>later when I try to
> >>burn anothe text file to same cd it will not work
> >>unless I erase the cd.
> >>Some little thing I am missing. I`m a fairly old
> >>man, 86, but have been
> >>learning the Linux system for about 3 years, but a
> >>newbie at burning.
> >>Willing to learn if someone will kindly give
> advice
> >>on this problem.
> >>Thank you.
> >>Roy
> >>

> >I hope you were trying it with a cdrw not cdr. You
> do
> >know that difference I hope. I had Nero and it had
> an
> >option to 'not finalize' the cd. I assume that
> >cdrecord does to, but not sure.
> >
> >=====
> >Cyclists should expect and demand safe
> >accommodation on our public roads,
> >just as does every other user.
> >
> >Nothing more is expected.
> >
> >Nothing less is acceptable!

> .Yes have dvd-rw also dvd+rw, both act the same.
> Followed all the
> instruction in the Suse linux guide under K3B---The
> KDE Burning
> Application. If I try an unused cd it will burn ok,
> but when i come back
> later and try to ad another file it ask if I want to
> erase the cd, i hit
> NO and try to burn but to no success.
> Thanks for trying, maybe someone will read this and
> come up with a
> solution, I hope :-[

Yeah, just looked around the k3b panel and I didn't
see anything about 'multisession' like the 'doze
programs have. Hum. I remember in Nero, that you had
to specify for it NOT to finalize the cd or it was a
one session cd, but nothing like that in the options
on k3b, that I can see. Oh, well.

Another thing, with only 256mb of ram, I can only burn
about 180mb's to a disk as it uses the ramdisk
'leftover' area and that is about 180+mb. Unless I am
doing a disk to disk copy, then no problem. That is
using Knoppix as the os. I am not sure that this is
the case with an installed os or not as it doesn't use
the ramdisk the same way knoppix does.

The only way I can think of is sorta a kludge. Burn on
rw disk, then off load it to hd next time and add to
file and reburn the whole thing including the
'orginal' stuff. Like I said, a kludge, but that would
be the only way. You would have to use rw disks till
you were ready for the final copy. Oh, well, like I
have said before, Linux isn't perfect..but it is the
only thing I am using.. All copies of 'doze are gone,
and no disks to install from...with the exception of
one hd that still has 98 on it.

=====