Re: Video Card Change

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Video Card Change
>>Well, here's something pretty funny. I ran HardDrake and selected 640x480x8
>>display resolution in preparation for switching to a generic VGA XServer.
>>After restarting in the new mode (which worked ok) I started HardDrake
>>again. The dialog it displays won't fit in a 640x480 display, and can't be
>>resized any smaller. The button to reconfigure the hardware is at the
>>bottom of the dialog, off-screen, out of reach! This is one of the most
>>fundamental user interface errors you can make. Anybody still think Linux
>>can compete with Windows? Not bloody likely.
>
> I hate to say this, but this problem crops up in windows more often than you
> think. I use the tab key to get down to the correct button. its not failed me
> yet.

Yep, and in Linux it can be resolved by setting a Virtual screen size that is
larger than the physical one that you want. Or find the commandline tools that
help rewrite the X config for the new card. I know RH has/had configuration
tools that worked in X and in CLI to help with things like reconfiguring X or
your network or firewall, etc....