Re: cvs under linux

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: cvs under linux
Don Calfa said:
> There's plenty of Windows CVS frontends available. I've used the
> folowing three.
>
> IMO, TortoiseCVS has the nicest UI of the windows bunch, it integrates
> with Windows Explorer..
> If they already use Eclipse, Eclipse has a builtin CVS client that's
> better than WinCVS.

We use WinCVS for the MS clients. The CVS server is Linux. No problems.
Period. Except for user flubs. :^\ Linux clients are on whatever the
programmer wants to use, usually just the cvs command line but sometimes
other clients.

We use so many different tools and compilers on our source code that we
did not want to depend on or learn different behavior of each tool's
source code control interface. So we standardized on WinCVS for the MS
desktops. We have C, C++, VHDL and various other text source code in CVS
without problems. We have not put any binaries into CVS since it is not
fully suited to that and we don't have many (or any) binary source files
anyway.

Is that the general information you wanted, Jim? Or do you have some
other specific questions in mind?

Alan