Re: Why not forum? (Was: Re: umount2)

Author: Terry Lynch
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Why not forum? (Was: Re: umount2)
Hello All,

I hope I didn't get off on the wrong foot with you guys with my first
post, :-( . I have read all your thoughtful comments to date and you
have some good points.

Bill Jonas got the first lick in and said what a lot of you apparently
feel, the e-mail list method is good enough. He also has a good point
about "in-your-face" delivery and having to actually go to the effort of
a login to a forum. However, every forum site I've seen will allow you
to be notified of activity at whatever level you wish to subscribe to -
with a hyperlink to the new post or changed section - which you can then
read without logging in, unless you wish to reply.

I'll also grant you that the subscriber base here is rather small,
perhaps there wouldn't be the traffic necessary to sustain a thriving
forum based community. It seems to me that if folks will wade through
these e-mails then they would happily replace that effort with a simple
login and the ability to selectively browse threads, threads which would
have a bit more persistence than these. Sometimes I don't login to my
favorite site, www.extremetech.com, for several days but I know I can
catch up whenever I want to and will be able to easily follow the
discussions.

I guess it is the visually unappealing style of the e-mails that bothers
me most and a close second would be the fact that you cannot see the

It makes my head hurt just looking at the messages with all the
"baggage" of the reply-to e-mail, which usually already contains 2 other
previously copied posts, just so that you can keep the thread intact;
not to mention all the sigs and pgp keys and weird carriage returns etc
etc... (no offense intended, but they are visual annoyances, at least
to me). There's a lot of clutter to sift through to get to the payload.

Probably I am just a whiny b*st*rd (who, by the way, has no web skills
to implement a forum on his own :-[                             ) that
should have kept his gub shut.  I'll now go back to "lurker" mode...