Re: Letter to the editor

Author: Carl Parrish
To: Plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Letter to the editor

> ... but Linux is getting darn close. It will take
> a few more years of hammering the desktop into
> shape, with Linux vendors packaging and training
> for full productivity. VB, Access and Visual
> Studio need to be challenged by Linux tools that
> are just as productive. (I don't currently know
> what these alternatives are ... can anyone fill
> me in? How good are the conversion tools for
> migration from the MS equivalents?)

hmmm rekall(http://www.rekallrevealed.org/index.shtml) and
openoffice(http://www.openoffice.org) for Access. I haven't used Visual
Studio in a while so I'm not sure but maybe eclipse and
wxPython(http://wxpython.org/), kylix (???) again I'm not too sure what
the major draw of Visual Studio is so I may be wrong. For VB that's easy
Ruby, Python, and PHP all work *much* better than VB in my opinion and
they all have various IDEs (I think eclipse will work with all of them)
again its been over 5 years since I've worked with vb in any meaningful
way but I don't see *any* advantage of VB over ruby, python, php,
perhaps even perl (I don't *really* code in perl either though). Check
out Komodo (http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/?_x=1), Zend
Studio (http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-studio.php), and
freeride (http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?ScreenShots)

--