Re: Letter to the editor

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Letter to the editor
Craig White wrote:
> Linux doesn't need people to push its use as much
> as it needs people to help improve the experience
> by writing code, documentation, assisting others,
> etc.

Craig, you got that right. When there are lots of
*ordinary* folks who can be as productive on the
Linux desktop as they can be on Windows, *then*
there will be an argument for cutting off the
flow of money to Redmond.

Microsoft is not the problem. It is currently the
best solution for some needs, and a good-enough
interim solution to the others. Linux will find
acceptance wherever that ceases to be true, but
only when competent sales and support people can
get access to the decision makers, and can sell a
change in terms of savings of time as well as
money, because time *is* money. This takes an
understanding of business, and a solid, coherent
package of tools to sell. And numbers. Decision
makers think in terms of numbers, and you need to
have your case fully analyzed and correctly laid
out before you can get them to move.

After many years of software development, I have
tremendous respect for software that is working.
It is very expensive to change anything, let alone
to upset your whole paradigm.

As it is, Windows has earned its money over almost
20 years by setting the standards for how a desktop
looks and works, and spreading the word so that now
everybody expects to use computers, and expects
them to behave in a certain way. They *are* the
standard right now, which makes them the natural
choice. And Linux just isn't there yet for ease
of use to the average office worker.

Anyone who has put together a little quickie app
in Visual Basic or Access knows what the appeal
of Microsoft systems is. Those who really know
software can see a downside, but under short-term
pressure for results, Microsoft can often win.
As long as they win most challenges, they hold the
whole office, and only the techies will be using
Linux.

... but Linux is getting darn close. It will take
a few more years of hammering the desktop into
shape, with Linux vendors packaging and training
for full productivity. VB, Access and Visual
Studio need to be challenged by Linux tools that
are just as productive. (I don't currently know
what these alternatives are ... can anyone fill
me in? How good are the conversion tools for
migration from the MS equivalents?)

Don't waste time trying to sell to the reluctant.
There are enough people out there who are
consciously ready to learn about Free Software.

Vic