Re: Mail client/server. . .

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Mail client/server. . .
On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:51, Kevin Brown wrote:
> OE under 2k/XP will save the data to the "Documents and Settings" area, which is
> copied to and from samba when a user logs in (at least it is with roaming
> profiles and Samba acting as an NT4 PDC).
>
> A problem with this setup is:
> User A logs into System A and fetches mail to OE. Without logging off, user A
> also logs into System B and again checks for mail. Now what he will end up
> having in his roaming profile is determined by the last system the user logs off
> of, so if he logs off System B and then off System A he will lose all the mail
> that System B retrieved. Reverse is true for logging off A first then B.
>
> What would probably be better is to setup IMAP on a system and just have OE or
> other mail client (eudora, thunderbird, mozilla, etc...) configured to view mail
> off the IMAP system. That way mail is truly held by that system and not on the
> individual PCs. You could setup fetchmail or some other user controllable app
> to retrieve the mail and stick it in the IMAP storage for that user (since it
> should just be a specific folder under /home/<username/, usually as Mail/ or .Mail/

----
I only want to take issue with a couple of things. I use and prefer IMAP
and would concur with most of this but...

I have seen OE set up user files in Documents and Settings\Temporary
Files\Identities\Microsoft\Outlook Express which doesn't get backed up
as part of roaming profile. I suspect this varies with version of OE and
OS.

Users have to learn to log off if their profiles roam. There is no other
option.

Fetchmail is good for limited use, not for many users/multiple users.

Craig