Mailing list software?

Author: alandd@consultpros.com
To: plug-discuss
I tried installing GNU Mailman once but failed. I gave up when I got too
frustrated when it all looked right but would not receive any mail. I
have a new, fresh, email server to install something on and wanted some
input before I start.

The target server is a functional email server install of ClarkConnect 2.2
which is Red Hat 9 based. It uses Fetchmail to grab email from the ISP
mail accounts and uses Postfix as the email server. The mail lists, three
of them, already have mail accounts at the ISP but are not yet defined as
users in the email server and therefore are also not in the Fetchmail
configuration yet either.

To my minimal email protocol and admin experience, Mailman was a challenge
because the documentation assumes the reader knows more about email
administration than I know. I am going to go back and read about it at
the official documentation site and some others I found in my last effort.
This includes a Python script that is supposed to easily integrate
Postfix and Mailman but just confused the issue in my last attempt.

Any tips on installing Mailman are appreciated. Pointers and suggestions
to other mail list server software (and there are plenty to choose from on
freshmeat.net) are also welcome.

I'll quit rambling now and start the drive home.

Alan