Re: Mailing list software?

Author: Carl Parrish
To: plug-discuss
wrote:

>I tried installing GNU Mailman once but failed. I gave up when I got too
>frustrated when it all looked right but would not receive any mail. I
>have a new, fresh, email server to install something on and wanted some
>input before I start.
>
>The target server is a functional email server install of ClarkConnect 2.2
>which is Red Hat 9 based. It uses Fetchmail to grab email from the ISP
>mail accounts and uses Postfix as the email server. The mail lists, three
>of them, already have mail accounts at the ISP but are not yet defined as
>users in the email server and therefore are also not in the Fetchmail
>configuration yet either.
>
>To my minimal email protocol and admin experience, Mailman was a challenge
>because the documentation assumes the reader knows more about email
>administration than I know. I am going to go back and read about it at
>the official documentation site and some others I found in my last effort.
> This includes a Python script that is supposed to easily integrate
>Postfix and Mailman but just confused the issue in my last attempt.
>
>Any tips on installing Mailman are appreciated. Pointers and suggestions
>to other mail list server software (and there are plenty to choose from on
>freshmeat.net) are also welcome.
>
>I'll quit rambling now and start the drive home.
>
>Alan

I recently got mailman up and running. It wasn't easy but I think most
of my issues were because I was using qmail as my MTA and all the
documentation assumed you were using a sendmail type MTA. ezmlm is made
by the same person who created qmail **much** easier to set up with
qmail but didn't have some of the features I liked. Because one client
already had postfix, php, mysql, and imap set up I once used
http://www.interspire.com/sendstudio/. They had extreamly modest mailing
list needs but so far sendstudio has been working great for them. (its
actually more of an announce software than a mailing list app).
Hope that helps let me know if you need more details.

--
Carl Parrish()
http://www.carlparrish.com