Re: Problem installing gentoo

Author: Chris Gehlker
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Problem installing gentoo

On May 1, 2004, at 11:45 AM, Chris Gehlker wrote:

> What follows is a message I sent to the Gentoo-ppc mailing list. I
> thought I'd post it here in case anyone has experience with the
> problem.
>
> I'm trying to install Gentoo on a Dual G4 and an iBook using the
> Minimal LiveCD. The problem is that I can't get a network connection
> from the LiveCD. What's got me stumped is that the right drivers don't
> appear to be anywhere on the CD. Checking Yellow Dog, the G4 needs a
> sungem driver and the iBook needs a gmac.
>
> It hard for me to believe that the LiveCD doesn't support such common
> machines. What am I missing?

Here I am answering my own question for the record. It turn out that
gmac and sungem are compiled into the appropriate kernels. All I needed
to do was dhcpcd. Why they chose to put all the intel drivers where
modprobe would expect to find them and compile in the ppc drivers is an
open question. I suspect it has something to do with how few ppc
drivers there are. The probably want to keep the distributions as
similar as possible.